Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy T-giving

It seems pathetic that I stop long enough for this particular holiday to count my blessings when I could be doing that every day.

I'm thankful that I have such wonderful parents whose zest for life taught me to look for the treasures of being alive - no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.

I'm thankful for my hubby. His kind nature and sweet spirit have always propelled me (and oftentimes propped me up) when I felt like this writing gig was going nowhere. He's loved me for 28 years - even when I'm a pain in the ass. He understands that I'm a lousy cook and that I'll never evolve in the domesticity department either. Anyone who thinks arranged marriages are for the birds needs to talk to me and my dad. It's a joke and definitely a blog-worthy story.

I'm thankful for my three kids. Though I'd rather have root canal sans Novocain than relive their high school years, they are the brights spots of joy that balance my life and keep me humble. They make me laugh until my stomach hurts, and I can't imagine a better crew to share my genes.

I'm thankful for the Pound Princess. She filled a particularly vacant spot in our lives when our beloved Swamp Thing went to the Rainbow Bridge. She seemed to understand that she had very big paws to fill. She was so grateful to be welcomed into our home, that she has earned her 'Precious Dog' status. Now, if I could just teach her about large dogs...

I'm grateful for my writing. We writers isolate ourselves for many long hours while pouring out our verbs and nouns. When we write 'the end,' we can't be certain whether we've hit or missed. That my book won a gold medal IPPY tells me that I'm doing something right. Writing scratches a very big itch for me, and I'm grateful to know that my words bring enjoyment to others.

I'm grateful for my day job. Being an editor is fulfilling work (though never ending). I've met some of the most fascinating people and read some of the most wonderful works. I can't imagine doing anything else.

I'd like to promise myself to think of these things every day. But just in case I don't, I'm really grateful for Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

Dreaming again said...

Happy Thanksgiving.