Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Start spreadin’ the news…

A friend of mine was being treated for breast cancer. She was just beginning the chemo/radiation bit when she asked me for Reiki treatments. Hell yes, sez I. Anything to help combat the side effects of cancer treatment.


Tell your doc what you’re doing, I told her. Why? she asked. After all, it’s not like you’re writing out a Reiki prescription that I need to get filled at my local Reiki Mart. Very funny, I say. Tell your doc because he needs to know everything you’re doing. For example, you’re taking pain meds and anti-nausea stuff, and the Reiki could mess with those doses. Shaddap, she says. Really?


Yes. Really.


So my friend does the exact opposite and doesn’t tell her doc about the Reiki. Embarrassed, she tells me. He’s one of those guys who would roll his eyes at me. I can’t take that kind of judgment right now.


She got to the point where she no longer needed the pain and anti-nausea stuff, which was totally cool because she was finally able to keep food down, gain some weight, and return to work. When her blood tests started going wonky, the doctor made numerous adjustments to her chemo and finally asked her what the hell was going on. She came clean about the Reiki.


I’ve always questioned whether it was possible for someone’s eyes to truly bug out of their head. I mean really bug. But apparently they can. At least that’s what my friend says. But her doc did something that she didn’t expect. He told her he respected and supported her efforts to take an active role in controlling her destiny. He knew squat all about Reiki, but he allowed as how that since she was back at work, eating, off her pain and nausea meds that perhaps there was something to it. But he wished she’d told him.


And I guess that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? We have faith in our docs to take care of us and keep us medically safe, so shouldn’t we extend that faith and believe they’ll be supportive of our efforts to survive and thrive? If they dare to laugh, call them an insensitive scum-sucking bovine. But definitely take The Chairman’s advice and start spreadin’ the news, ‘cause they really need to know.

No comments: